Friday, April 25, 2014

When Life Gives You Lemons, Drink Them

Hi, fellow wanderers.

I have struggled with skin issues for years. Oily skin and breakouts have plagued me for as long as I can remember. It is so bad that about five minutes after washing my face, you can see the oil already starting to form in the pores of my nose. And don't even get me started on trying to wear makeup. But no matter what I have done, nothing seemed to make it better. I tried products for oily skin, products for acne prone skin, products for sensitive skin. I tried organic, natural products. I bought that well-known acne clearing system endorsed by celebrities. I even tried visiting a dermatologist. Most products did nothing. Some made things better for a little while, but then my skin would get used to it and I would be back to my skin issues. Some even made things worse. I just figured I would be one of those people doomed to have bad skin. Well, imagine my surprise when I found the answer to my struggle was as simple as raising a glass.

In my quest to be a little more green and healthy I tend to do a lot of research. Well, I kept hearing about all the benefits of drinking a glass of warm, lemon water every morning. It was supposed to have many benefit from waking up your digestion to detoxifying your organs to helping improve the look of your skin. Of course the last one caught my attention, but I knew I really could use all the other things as well. Plus, even of it didn't work, I would simply be getting extra water, so I really wasn't out anything for trying. So, I started drinking a glass of warm water with a tablespoon of lemon juice every morning and night. I also added a little raw honey for sweetness and even more health benefits. I actually noticed a difference in clarity pretty quickly and after about a week, I noticed a reduction in outbreaks. My skin also appeared less oily. I have now punched up my morning lemon water by still adding the honey, but I also add in a 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric and a sprinkle of red pepper. After washing my face with a little black soap, I use a toner made of witch hazel mixed with lavender, tea tree, and lemon essential oils. (I had been using this toner minus the lemon oil prior to starting to drink lemon water to no big results. Again the trick, for me, was the lemon.)

Now, I am not saying that lemon water is some magical elixir by any means. I mean one of the "health" claims is weight loss and I have not lost one pound, despite following a healthy "diet" plan. But what it is doing for my skin is reason enough for me to continue drinking it twice a day. I mean, who knew lemons would be the thing that made my life sweeter?

No comments:

Post a Comment