Sunday, May 25, 2014

Embracing Your Inner Tortoise

Greetings fellow wanders.

This blog is about a fable, one I like to called The Instant Result.

As I mentioned in a previous blog post I have struggled with weight issues most of my life. But my struggle for instant results isn't isolated solely to my weight. I struggle with not getting a toned body after a few workouts. I struggle with not being able to save enough money for that European vacation from one paycheck. I struggle with not meeting the man of my dreams after one day of on-line dating. Basically, I want it all instantaneously. Sadly, though, life does not work that way.

So, where did this lack of patience and persistence come from? I would love to blame it on the world of high technology where we have millions upon millions of pieces of information available to us in an instant. But, if I am honest with myself, I would admit I was like this long before the creation of the internet and smart phones. (Yes, there was such a time and, yes, I do remember it, but, no, I am NOT older than dirt. Maybe a dust bunny or two, but not dirt.) The fact of the matter is that I want the results, but I really hate the work it takes to get there. I don't want to have to work out every day for a month just to see the tiniest chance in my body. I don't want to have to practically live on salads just to lose a pound. I don't want to have to go on a bunch of bad dates before I find Mr. Right. Been there, done that. Got the T-shirt and the souvenir mug. So, where does this leave me?

In the story of The Tortoise and The Hare, the hare had my mentality. He thought he could just coast along and the race would be handed to him on a silver platter. The tortoise, on the other hand, kept a steady pace, keeping the mindset that any progress is just that - progress. He kept his eye on the prize and didn't let himself get distracted. And we all know who won the race.

Slow and steady is not always easy and it sure as heck isn't always fun. You will get discouraged. You will get tired. You will sometimes want to just give up. But that is when you need to embrace your inner tortoise and remember that slow and steady wins the race. You got this.

I always knew there was a reason I loved tortoises so much.  ;-)

-Buffy

No comments:

Post a Comment